Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Slap Shot (2012)

It's fitting that the first real post on this blog deals with a movie that helped make a hockey fan out of me at a young age. George Roy Hill's Slap Shot. Anyone reading this post has more then likely seen the original movie at least once. In recent news it was announced that Hollywood would be remaking the cult classic. Universal is heading the project with 21 and Analyze That screenwriter Peter Steinfeld.

In an interview with "your movie maven" Steinfeld has this to say, “Right now I’m finishing writing the re-make of the iconic hockey movie Slap Shot for Universal. I’ve never had so many people hate me for writing something they haven’t seen yet. It’s such a classic film and fans of the original feel like I’m grave-robbing or something. But I think the movie will be really fun and will capture what it’s like to play minor league hockey in 2008. We haven’t set cast yet…”

it goes without saying that I would be excited to see another movie in the same vain as Slap Shot. The really combined a beautifully snarky tone with some absurd humor, all centered on the already ridiculous world of minor league hockey. We haven’t seen anything like it since. Mystery, Alaska could have been that movie — but it chose to go the way of the family-friendly story. Close, but not quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment